Thursday, April 26, 2012

Get a GTX580 or wait for Kepler?

I've bought a GTX580 a few days ago. It's a great card, and does well, but it cost around $500, and it in't exactly brand new at this point (with it being released last year). I'm considering returning it in a few days and just sticking to my GTX285 until the Kepler cards come out, whose high-end card will probably cost around $500. Should I do that and just wait for Kepler? The only games I'm interested in this year are Skyrim and Battlefield 3, both coming out significantly later this year. And I want my card to last for a few years, and I guess until those games come out, the GTX580 is just doing the job that my 285 could be doing all along. So, should I wait until Q4 2011-Q1 2012 for Kepler?



Because, ideally, I'd want to max out those games on release, and enjoy any DX11/Tessellation features they may have. A GTX580 can do that. But for the games that would follow after, and with the promise that Kepler has, I keep thinking that, for that price, I should just wait a few months to get it, instead.



My original thought was to get a 580, wait some time, and maybe SLI with another 580 when the price drops to $300, or less.



Thank you.|||>It sounds like you are half convinced to return the card and wait for Kepler. Why not just follow your better judgment and do that and wait it out if your GTX 285 will do the work you want right now.|||your graphics card choice should be based on your monitor resolution,

assuming you have 22 inch monitor with 1080p resolution,a 560ti would do the job,

at the highest quality and resolution for about 3 years



580 is high wattage,high noise and heat maker not good for practical use|||Do you really wanna play the waiting game?

With computers you'll always be playing the waiting game

And no point in taking the card back now since you have it and they'll charge you a 15% restocking fee|||Kepler is still just rumours. Grab a GTX 570. only 15% less performance.|||Wait for kepler and then buy a gtx 580 when the prices plummet ^^.|||You should return it if you can get a full refund.



eVGA is selling a "b-stock" basically just the GTX 580 itself with 90 day limited warranty for $380. Then I would SLI it later. Also, a GTX 580 should max out BF3 pretty well. They stated that a GTX 460 (single) would be a recommended card. Your GTX 580 is wat better than you 285 by the way. If you're getting similar results, then you need a new cpu or your monitor resolution isnt very demanding.



Keplars are coming out soon. I can tell because the GTX 460s are being clearanced by a lot of sites. If I were you, I'd refund the 580 for $500. Sell you GTX 285 (for like $100). Pick up two GTX 460 and SLI (which will give you the performance of the 580), live with that until the Keplars are cheaper. There arent even any games out that require much more than SLI 460s. It's not like there's DX12 or games that are pushing graphics. Keplar is going to be a bad launch, due to economy and due to the lack of games pushing graphics. Unless Keplars are cheap and low power consumption, I would wait a year before buying the next Nvidia cards. Also, Radeon dropped out of the performance race so NVidia is going to be entering that elite video card realm alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment